Some random ramblings of a casual Warcraft player on the Lightbringer (EU) Realm.

Wednesday 3 February 2010

Caveat Fabricae (Crafter Beware)

StoneKold was in Dalaran the other day; he had completed his Jewelcrafting daily and had picked up a couple of Cardinal Rubies and about 20 Skyflare Diamonds in the mail transmuted courtesy of McRaffles. He was casually crafting his best sellers; 5 each of the usual rare gems, a couple of epic cuts and 10 Chaotic Skyflare Diamonds. Now this is pretty mundane stuff, done it a hundred times, so I was engaging in some random banter in Guild Chat to pass the time. Once complete, I sent all this off to my AH chap for posting.

Log and switch to AH mule, pick up mail and start posting. Now what is the first thing you do prior to posting your goods on the AH? Correct; check the current price of said item. I probably do this the same way you do; by opening the Auction House search window and just shift/clicking on the item in my bag then clicking search and find out whether it’s worthwhile posting depending on the price. So, doing just this, I post my rare and epic gems and I come to the Skyflare Diamonds and get the fright of my life. Chaotic Skyflare Diamonds normally sell on my server from 42g – 57g. Today they were sitting between 8g and 10g. WHAT!!!!, that can’t be right, on further inspection it was correct, the problem wasn’t the price of the gems it was the type of gems. While distracted I hadn’t crafted 10 Chaotic Skyflare Diamonds, I crafted 10 Swift Skyflare Diamonds….what a dick!!! Swift Skyflares look exactly the same as their Chaotic brothers, however they sell for a damn sight less, if they actually sell at all.

Transmuting a Skyflare Diamond takes 1 Chalcedony, 1 Bloodstone and 1 Eternal Air. Though not actually free, I get more than enough of the gems from prospecting. The Eternal Airs however are occasionally picked up from mining Titanium, but obviously in nowhere near the quantities required for my budding gem selling business. This means that until I can locate a dedicated farmer and put them on my payroll, I have to scour the AH to satisfy my needs. I usually pick up Eternal Airs between 20g – 25g and vendoring the useless Swift Skyflare Diamonds at 6g each I therefore made a loss that though not actually bank-breaking, did leave a nasty taste in my mouth.

Well on the bright side, at least I didn’t craft all 20 and I suppose one good thing came of it, I will never make that mistake again!

~McRaffles

2 comments:

  1. I've had that happen. Ill lookinto crafting some skyflares. I have been sticking exclusivly to earthseige but diversity is king. Currently im sitting at 36k you win lol. If you dont mind me asking whats ur professions and whats your daily crafting schedule?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problems, Pally Miner/BS, Rogue Herb/Alch and DK JC/Ench - Daily transmute, Titansteel and Icy Prism then normally 5 each of red, blue and yellow rare gems, 10 or so Chaotic Skyflares and 2 or 3 red/blue or yellow epics. Also Eternal Belt Buckles too - That's about it mate

    ~McRaffles

    ReplyDelete