Some random ramblings of a casual Warcraft player on the Lightbringer (EU) Realm.

Monday 1 February 2010

On no, not The Oculus!

So Friday night comes around and for a change instead of spending all night at the Auction House, I decide to run a Random Dungeon just for fun, and of course badges. So I jump in and lo and behold, straight into ‘The Oculus’. Now having never actually entered this dungeon before, the only thing I knew was that there was some dragon flying involved. I declared my virginity to the group and expected to be kicked, but no, the tank said no problems, I’ll keep you right. So on we go, through the initial trash like the proverbial knife through butter and through the portal and on to ‘Drakos the Interrogator’. True to his word, the tank told me about the spawning bombs and to steer clear. Bang, boss 1 down, no worries. I get told to pick up my Azure Drake and follow, after a bit of confusion (on my part) we then group up and start easily taking down the required 9 centrifuge constructs and remove the shield from the second boss ‘Varos Cloudstrider’. The friendly tank begins to tell me about the aoe effect that we need to avoid and the healer tells us not to worry, he’ll just heal through it. Boss 2 down, easy peasy!

Boss 3 was a bit of a different matter, we clear the summoned trash and I was told to hide behind the column when the boss casts his arcane explosion. I’m not sure what actually happened but I either ran to the wrong column or wasn’t fast enough, as I died. Luckily the tank and healer carried on and I (as well as the 2 other dps) was rezzed after Boss 3 went down. Onwards and upwards to Ley-Guardian Eregos, the final boss. I was told to spam ‘3’ until 10 stacks the hit ‘1’, rinse and repeat and hit ‘Time Stop’ when the summons and run (fly away) when told to run. I watched out for the summon, but must’ve missed it, I think I actually misread one of his abilities on DBM and used it too early; anyway the upshot was a wipe. I held my hands up and apologised and rather than take a heap of expected abuse, the top tank whispered me and said not to worry, the other 2 dps didn’t do that great either. We eventually all get back in and up to Eregos and the tank volunteers to shout when to Time Stop as well as run. The second time was a dream, every Time Stop was on the money and boom Final boss down. I was happy to see the achievements ping up for both the normal and heroic Oculus and after thanking everyone for their help and patience I left with my 2 Frost and 2 Triumph Emblems.

Now I know that there are some real horror stories about the Random Dungeon Tool and that bad groups of bolshy tanks and all round rubbish players abound, but even though this was one of my few encounters running random dungeons, I was very happy with the group and really enjoyed what I totally believed would turn out as a nightmare run, thanks again guys.

~McRaffles

2 comments:

  1. jez... oculus is hell! - you are really lucky to have a group which managed that last boss 2nd try... first time i went there i think it was about a gazillion wipes. (fortunately i had drud and fli with me so i wasnt kicked lol)

    its good to hear you want to do some more raids and instances!!! - im sure you can survive without the AH for a week or two! lol

    enjoy Ad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Adam,

    I don't think I'm quite ready to go 'Cold Turkey' on the AH just yet. Though I'm sure I'll be up for more dungeons, perhaps even raiding soon.

    ~McRaffles

    ReplyDelete